12 October 2012

Getting schooled

After 13 years away, Wendy is back in one of her favorite roles: student.  And while this MA Broadcast Journalism program I'm studying isn't all that easy, for me, being in school is.

I'm one of those people who could probably be a student forever.  For better (expanding world) or for worse (diminishing finances), it's a role that's always felt natural to me, from those early days of kindergarten right up through my last degree.

When many of my seminary classmates were whining about "having to spend one more year on campus," (following internship) rather than going out immediately into professional ministry, I was that annoying one who relished being back in academia and secretly hoped it would never end.

When I was serving in campus ministry, I would get a little pang of longing each fall when the new year started, half wishing I were the one carrying that backpack and heading off to class.

Now that I'm back in the classroom, even at age 41, I still feel a sense of belonging here.  Something about me was born to study, participate in discussions, and explore new worlds.  This broadcast program is especially stimulating as we are actively doing projects, learning new software and equipment, and taking on group tasks which simulate the work of a journalist.  It's lively, fun, and plenty challenging for my tastes.  And my classmates are the most diverse group with whom I've ever studied--hailing from many countries around the world and providing perspective as well as hilarity on a daily basis.  I love them all.

I realize that this world of school is not meant to last forever.  Unlike those who make their living through instruction or some other role within the institution, for me this will only be a passing season.

But for the time being, that oddly ageless looking girl looking just a little too comfortable toting her backpack down those halls is me.


---
a student of life
sounds a little better than
a student for life

No comments: