11 March 2011

The empty promise of "easy"

One thing I have noticed about myself over the years is that I tend to stop trying when something gets too difficult.

I attribute this to my lifelong affinity for schoolwork, such that I never needed to struggle too much for a good grade. Thus, my "effort muscles" never really developed, and aside from a few areas in college, I didn't really try very hard for results. I always thought this put me at some sort of advantage in relation to my peers--rarely needing to study during finals week, and taking only the bare minimum of time required to complete papers and other projects. I've come to realize, however, that while many others were developing study skills and perseverance in hard work and time management, my own performance in these areas has remained relatively "flabby." This has certainly not served me well over time.

Nowadays, when there's something I want to accomplish, I may start off with enthusiasm, but as soon as I hit the first sign of discomfort, I'm tempted to back down. It just feels like too much work. As a result, I have a road strewn with unfinished projects and half-realized dreams. And that is not the life I'm committed to living.

Doing my daily Sudoku puzzles has actually shed some light on this for me. The puzzles are rated by difficulty, so one has an impression of how much effort might be required. I used to stick with puzzles rated "easy" or "medium," figuring my abilities didn't extend much beyond that. But then curiosity led me to a "hard" puzzle or two, and I realized that my game logic worked just as well there, even with the "very hard" ones--granted, it took a little more effort, and sometimes I wasn't able to solve them without "hints" from the computer, but the satisfaction of completing a more difficult puzzle was addictive. Occasionally I notice that I've solved a "very hard" puzzle with relative ease.

What this opens up for me is the realization that perhaps I do, after all, have what it takes to follow through and achieve my possibilities--even the monumental ones. It may take more frequent "work outs" to maintain these muscles, but it's definitely within my reach. And it may even be easier than I think.

-----
something worth having
is worth the extra effort--
no more "easy A's!"


No comments: