18 March 2011

I'm not Irish...but kiss me anyway :)

I love celebrating other people's holidays.

Growing up in the United States, this becomes an accepted part of life. So many immigrant cultures coming together is a perfect climate for adopting one another's celebrations and traditions, and thereby enriching your own experience. St. Patrick's Day? Why not! Everyone can be Irish for a day. At Christmas time, everyone's ethnic backgrounds come to the surface in the particular foods and rituals they observe. We probably have at least as many holidays that originated outside our country as we do native observances.

My childhood is brimming with vivid sensory memories, many of them holiday specific. Cool, costumed nights, culminating with candy sorting on the family room floor. The smell of sparklers after burning. The glow of green and blue lights on a tree. And my parents added St. Nicholas Day, which meant sock puppet shows and tolken gifts to honor the charitable bishop who was the forerunner of Santa Claus.

Being a lover of sugar, I am proud to observe the Major Candy Holidays (Halloween, Valentine's Day and Easter, of course). And when I moved to Toledo where the Polish abound, I was more than happy to adopt the paczki tradition. And king cakes. The more sugar, the better, I say.

The two years I spent in Hong Kong were a veritable bouquet of holidays, many of which I'd never experienced before. Chinese New Year, Gravesweeping festival, and my all time favorite: Mid Autumn Festival. Families flocked to the parks at night, under a full moon, surrounded by burning candles and colorful lanterns. Add moon cakes to my holiday food repertoire. And in Hong Kong, we enjoyed a double dose of celebration, being governed by the British at the time. Hey, if you want to give me the Queen's Birthday off work, I'm not going to resist you.

I took these Asian festivals home to the States with me, sharing them with friends as well. And in latter years I've added Solstice observances to the list.

I've been fortunate enough to have been in Europe on May Day, Puerto Rico for Three King's Festival, Israel for Orthodox Easter, and Chicago for the St. Pat's Parade when they turn the river green.

My fascination with amassing holidays may stem from being born in August, a month when there are no official holidays (unless one counts the Celtic Harvest Festival of Lughnasadh). But technically, a birthday is a holiday in itself, and I believe in celebrating all month long. Naturally. :)

So yes, I'll wear a splash of green and raise a Guinness to my brothers and sisters across the sea today. I may not have Irish blood, but within me beats the heart of a true holiday gourmand.

Éirinn go Brách!


-----
this world citizen
never met a holiday
she didn't adopt

1 comment:

Olivia said...

LOVE THE HAIKU! And love that you celebrate Solstice. I get looked at sideways since I still celebrate Solstice even though I identify as Christian now.

The Christians and the Pagans - Dar Williams: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d9H9Fi4Qcus