20 March 2011

Waiting for Supermoon...

The moon and I go way back.

When I was born, it was in Sagittarius. Which is supposed to make me curious, adventurous, and adaptable, "leaving a wake of encouragement and inspiration behind" me. I will let those of my acquaintance decide whether or not this describes me.

I do remember being captivated by the natural beauty of the world when I was young. The moon always seemed very mysterious, and I loved its luminosity when it was full.

In elementary school, it became more scientific--we constructed devices in order to view the lunar eclipse, as it was supposed to be dangerous to look directly at it. But I knew my old friend wouldn't harm me. It was that volatile Mr. Sun that I had to be careful of...

I remember moon gazing on warm Hong Kong nights, pining over lost love and wondering if there ever could be another. The moon is good company for things like that.

The Chinese have a holiday dedicated entirely to the moon. It was then that I knew I'd been sent to the right place. :)

And then, in seminary, I took my moon watching to another level, partnering with a friend for monthly walks to appreciate it in its fullness. We studied it, named it, drank it in. Full-blown loonies.

A first dance with a new love, to the tune of Van Morrison's "Moondance."

And of course, more lost love, more pining...

The night I drove to the Chicago airport to meet my cat Boomer, who'd just been flown in from Hong Kong to spend the remainder of his years with me Stateside, there was a very bright moon. As he slumbered from a long, probably unpleasant flight, I took comfort from my old friend, offering me gleaming company on my lonely, lengthy drive back to Dubuque.

I once got to witness a partial eclipse from a plane window. Someone even moved over so I could get a better view.

I installed a roof window in my upstairs room, and have been known to sleep under it, just to soak in those moonbeams and see it winking at me, should I happen to wake in the night.

And tonight...wait for it...Supermoon. The closest it's been to Earth since 1993. 14 percent bigger and 30 percent brighter --much more moon for one's money. And it is not disappointing me. As it rises through the haze, I see a rainbow aura around it, and I know my old friend has returned to me.

Here's to all my fellow loonies--tonight's our night. :)


-----
Moon-gazers unite--
Our inspiration rises
To meet our longing

No comments: